HISTORY OF NICOSIA
It is claimed that from the Assyrian sources dated back to 7th century BC the city that was called Ledra was the origin of Lefkosa. During the Old Egypt domination period in the island, in the years 300BC, the son of Ptomley 1. Soter, Lefkos, rebuilt the city and gave it his name. The name Lefkosa derived from this. The name Nicosia was first used in 1192 when the native people rebelled against the Templer Knights. From this date onwards the island was ruled from Lefkosa and it was accepted as the capital city of Cyprus. The brilliand of the city which was developed during the period of Lousinas continued until the Venetians conquered the island in 1489. During the Venetians administration in order to strengthen the walls many churches and palaces were demolished and the materials were used in the construction. Lefkosa which was conquered by the Ottomans in 1570, was ornamented with mosques, Turkish baths, Moslem theological schools and inns which were the work of arts of Ottoman culture.