When Ottomans conquered Cyprus in 1571, the land, today known as “Islam Graveyard” outside from the castle of Girne, was reserved as “Cemetery for soldiers” in the first years of the Ottoman era. It was used for the same purpose until the end of 17th century. Cistern, water canals and architectural tombs were built in it. When the cemetery for soldiers began to accept non-soldiers, the name was changed to Islam Graveyard. This is known also as “Graveyard of Forlorn”. St Andrew British Church, District Club and Tennis Court were built beside this graveyard. Until recent years, this graveyard was known as Baldoken Graveyard. It was restored by the Foundations Office in 1995.